Friday, December 19, 2014

8 Nights of Ruckus and Romping - 4 Matisyahu Hanukah Song


Matisyahu is a Jewish performer that has managed to gain a huge following, often making it into the top 10 with his music.  He does a range of work that has gone from reggae rap, to rock, to a new found "less is more" attitude  He has identified as a Orthodox Jew for most of his career.  He has recently shaken off the black but keeps Judaism as the center of most of his music.  It is very rare for a Jewish artist to make it big and maintain an orthodox lifestyle, however Matt, or Matisyahu as he is know, has done so.

This video, Hanukkah Song. is full of traditional Hanukkah characters such as the Matisyahu. Matisyahu was a leader of the Maccabees back in the days of the Hanukah Story.  Of course there is some odd stuff with wookies and toy soldiers. It tells a story while swirling around random thoughts and images.

As a Canadian I like the skating scenes.  As a music lover I enjoy the melody, but I really like the  beat. I have seen Matisyahu perform a few times at various festivals and even have some close up pics of him hanging out with the peeps.   I have seen shows that were all reggae, more rap hard almost industrial, and now more settled and smooth and lovely.  We will revisit him in a later post for another of my favorites.

So this video goes well with the fact that as of today I have been doing hot yoga, rather consistently, for 2 full years.  I never would have thought, that first day when I bolted from class after 40 minutes, that I would still be there two years later.   I still am getting my butt kicked each time but my practice has progressed and allowed my body to be more fluid.  Talk about a miracle.  Not only is it a miracle that I have survived, but also it has been a miracle for my body, mind and soul.

I am not usually the kind of person that can stand doing anything routine for very long.  I like to learn new things, do new things and do things a little differently.  I never could line dance because I just couldn't stand doing what everyone else was doing like some sort of mindless hoard.  Sorry to all those that enjoy line dancing, no offence intended.    Yet, I have been showing up and getting in line and doing this practice over and over and over... for two years now.

I want to express my thanks to all those at Sumits Hot Yoga Columbia for your generosity of spirit and frankly for your love.   I feel a part of a community of yogi's that really walk the walk of this practice.  Unlike Jews, that no matter their level of religiosity, feel this strong connection to Israel and the rest of the tribe, Yogi's connect based on the concept that more is just more. The more yoga or meditation you do the more microscopic strings you send out into the universe to connect with all the other strings of everyone who has and who will practice. The connection is silent and has no demands. It gives and it receives.  

For this, fourth post, and for two years of breathing,  Namesta, and thanks for the miracles you have done in the past and continue to do today.  


No comments:

Post a Comment